[PLUG] Emacs: removing obsolete assoc.el

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Thu Sep 7 16:21:44 UTC 2017

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 08:33:01 -0700 (PDT), in message
alpine.LNX.2.20.1709070828430.27043 at localhost, Rich Shepard wrote:

>    Running emacs-24.5 here. This morning when I started emacs I saw
> the message that package assoc is obsolete, so I did a web search.
> Found that, indeed, it was deprecated with 24.2 and the package is
> apparently called assoc.el. One contributor on the emacs wiki
> provided a script to find all his git packages that require assoc.el,
> but that's not relevent to me.
>
>    Looking for the package on my system using 'find / -name assoc.el'
> returned nothing.
>
>    While the deprecation warning does not stop use of emacs I would
> like to remove assoc.el when I can find it.
>
>    Thoughts?
>
> Rich

You didn't specify find's target correctly.  I did a

    find /usr -name assoc\* -print

and got four significant results:

    /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/obsolete/assoc.elc
    /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/obsolete/assoc.el.gz
    /usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/obsolete/assoc.el.gz
    /usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/obsolete/assoc.elc

(note the filename extensions).

Oddly, I have never gotten a message stating that assoc.el is
obsolete.  I'm not sure why you should suddenly start seeing it.
Then again, I don't use assoc.el -- I don't even know what it
does.  :-)  If you're using it, you'll probably need to find out
what it's been replaced with.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

--Dale

--
I don’t like when people talk to me.  I can’t hear the voices.