[PLUG] Old home xfer to new?

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 00:05:36 UTC 2017

I hopefully have what is needed to put what is in home on my old machine
into the new machine.  I have an external drive into which I transferred
using cp -R the contents of home.  (I believe the uid is the same on both
machines: 1000

The new machine home folder is /home/household which has about 35 items in
it--11 "dot" files, 13 "dot" folders, and 8 other folders and 1 file.  With
only a couple of exceptions these were created when installing Ubuntu 16.04.

The old machine home folder has about 85 items in it.  It is a 14.04
machine.

On the external drive resides those 85 items + the folders below.  They
need to go into /home/household on the new machine.

Two questions:

Many of the system folders/files on the two machines have the same names,
as do the sub-folders.  How do I decide which to use: those from the old or
those from the new?  (This strikes me as an opportunity to break some stuff
either way.)

What cp command do I use to transfer the files so that they end up in the
/home/household folder?  (I was surprised that when transferring the data I
did not end up with a top folder called household.)

Thanks,
-Denis