[PLUG] Is there a DNS cache in the Comcast modem?

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 05:16:50 UTC 2017

Answered by Comcast chat:

I asked the question in my opening statement.  Here is the dialog.  Your
task is to tell me what the answer is.

Harpreet 11:40 AM Let me check

Harpreet 11:41 AM Just for the account security, May I have the complete
service address along with the zip code ?

Harpreet 11:42 AM Perfect.Thank you for that information.

Harpreet 11:43 AM Denis, are you getting any error while you are using your
internet?

Denis 11:44 AM Not at present.

Harpreet 11:45 AM Okay no worries, '

Harpreet 11:45 AM for your satisfaction

Harpreet 11:45 AM I can do some troubleshooting for you internet

Harpreet 11:46 AM I would need to send a refresh signal to reactivate your
modem to resynchronize your modem to our system. Please allow me a minute
or 2 to complete the process.

Denis 11:47 AM Please do not do that.

Harpreet 11:47 AM Sure

Denis 11:47 AM Trouble shooting is not required.

Denis 11:47 AM Can you answer my question?

Denis 11:48 AM What does resynchronize mean?

Harpreet 11:49 AM Denis, sure

Harpreet 11:49 AM Let me flush your DNS

Harpreet 11:49 AM let me check

Harpreet 11:49 AM Please stay connected while I am still working on it

Denis 11:50 AM So one answer to my question is Yes, the Arris TG1268T does
have a DNS cache?

Harpreet 11:50 AM yes

Denis 11:51 AM Good to know. Now, for future reference, is flushing the
cache something I can do, or must I contact Comcast to do that?

Harpreet 11:52 AM Denis, you can do it your self

Denis 11:52 AM Wonderful!

Harpreet 11:52 AM You're welcome.

Denis 11:54 AM How can I do it? Is there a choice in the browser window in
the modem?

Harpreet 11:54 AM I will share the steps with you

Denis 11:55 AM Thank you.

Harpreet 11:55 AM Please follow the link I will provide you to flush the DNS

Harpreet 11:55 AM You're welcome.

11:57 AM http://www.wikihow.com/Flush-DNS

Harpreet 11:57 AM Please follow the link

Denis 11:59 AM I do not think it has instructions for Linux.

Harpreet 11:59 AM no worries

11:59 AM Let me check for the Linux

Harpreet 12:00 PM
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-debian-ubuntu-flush-clear-dns-cache/

Harpreet 12:00 PM Please follow the link

Denis 12:03 PM OK. This appears to have instructions for flushing the cache
in my computer, not in the modem. Is this correct? If so, we get back to
the question of is there a DNS cache in the modem?

Harpreet 12:06 PM Denis, if you want to flush your Modem's DNS I would
request you please directly connect your device to the modem equipment
using an Ethernet Cord

Harpreet 12:07 PM Just for the confirmation, there is not DNS in the modem

Harpreet 12:07 PM this is a part of system

Harpreet 12:08 PM it is Domain Name Server

Denis 12:10 PM OK. I know what DNS stands for. Local systems often maintain
a local cache of recently used sites. My original question was does my
modem have such a cache. Now is seems your answer is No, it does not. Do I
understand you correctly?

Harpreet 12:11 PM yes, you are

Harpreet 12:14 PM Denis, I just wanted to clear you with the full of
details about the DNS

Harpreet 12:14 PM that is why it took time

Denis 12:15 PM Thank you for the education.

Harpreet 12:15 PM You are most welcome

Harpreet 12:16 PM I hope we have resolved all of your concern to your
satisfaction today?

Denis 12:16 PM I hope so.

user Denis_ has left room