[PLUG] Is there a DNS cache in the Comcast modem?

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 21:08:05 UTC 2017

Snarky, yes, but I appreciate the advice.  I had a wireless router which
you may recall from a previous post was blamed for a DNS poisoning event
(likely erroneously.)  And I have been considering Ooma for a while.  It is
time to do it.  Then getting my own cable modem will be simpler--more
choices if voice is not needed.  And it does appear I have learned little,
but not nothing, on this list.  Some people are slow learners.

But for curiosity's sake, does this modem have a DNS cache?

I believe they do use the wireless in the modem to provide xfinity
wireless, but I have been lead to believe it does not go under my bandwidth
and data cap.  My laptop reports an xfinity wireless but I have been unable
to connect to it.  Instead I connect to wireless using one I have named
Comcastrrash in the Arris.

-Denis