[PLUG] Transferring ssh public keys [DONE]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 24 17:18:08 UTC 2017

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017, King Beowulf wrote:

> Check the permissions or /home/rshepard/authorized_keys on the server.

Ed,

   They're all 644 except for my private key which is 600.

> Secondly, did you already set /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
> PasswordAuthentication no

   Yep. That's standard here.

> IIRC, that should be "yes" until after you copy the key. ssh-copy-id needs
> to login via user/password in order to copy the key since the server does
> not yet have the key.

   Did not see this on the man page or the web pages I read. I wondered how
the transfer would work and did not realize that it should be by password.

   Changed PasswordAuthentication to yes, stopped/started rc.sshd. Tried
ssh-copy-id rshepard at salmo on the Dell with the same failure message as
before.

   Reset PasswordAuthentiation back to no on the server, copied the public
key from the Dell to the server's authorized_hosts files via USB flash drive
(the modern sneakernet). Now the Dell and server communicate.

Thanks,