[PLUG] Accessing individual external hard drives in the same enclosure

david dafr+plug at dafr.us
Fri Sep 29 15:23:58 UTC 2017

On 09/29/2017 06:08 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2017, Ken Stephens wrote:
>
>> Check dmesg to see if the drives show up as to individuals. If so, then a
>> software mirror could be created. If not, then the drives may be mirrored
>> inside the enclosure.
>
> Ken,
>
>     I don't want a mirror as one drive has a 1T capacity, the other has a 320G
> capacity. I would like to have one assigned as /dev/sdb/ and the other as
> /dev/sdc/ (or similar).

This all depends on the device. If the unit acts as a hub, plugging in
the device with both drives installed, it's possible that it will be
presented as /dev/sdc OR /dev/sdc && /dev/sdd.

The only simple way is to test it, and check the dmesg output or tail
the /var/log/messages file.

If the operating system only sees one device, then the case is doing
something internal and you likely won't be able to change. You would
likely be able to guess at it by getting size information on the
filesystem using parted or fdisk on the presented device.

dafr