[PLUG] General typeface/font questions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 29 17:33:55 UTC 2017

   Is there a way to identify what typefaces/fonts are used by web sites as
well as applications installed locally?

   This morning I learned that one web site did not display heading text
because that was a font I had deleted. (Restored all fonts from a month ago
so that -- and everything else -- correctly displays.) Do I need fonts for
non-Roman character sets if I don't read that language? Are the fonts in
various sub-directories of /usr/share/fonts/ used for all applications, both
local and external?

   These questions ahve not occurred to me before now but I do want to clean
things up since I had to address the inability of LO to recognize certain
type faces (now resolved.)