[PLUG] Power converters for power outages

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri Sep 29 22:55:59 UTC 2017

On 09/29/2017 03:02 PM, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> <...>
>
> The grid will become increasingly unreliable in coming
> decades;
>
> <...>
>
> Anywhoo, the bottom line is that we will be on battery
> power and generator backup more often in the future, and
> it is prudent to prepare.

Regarding generators, we bought a Champion duel fuel generator last
year. I've given up using gasoline powered equipment as much as I can,
simply because of maintenance. I used to be more of a gear head, but not
so much anymore.

Anyway, an important consideration is whether the generator puts out
clean 60Hz power. Mine, currently, does not. The one time we used it
last winter it powered the lights, refrigerator, and freezer, but not
our computer battery backup units. Eventually I discovered that my
generator was not putting out 60 Hz. I found the instructions for
adjusting it, but have yet to get around to applying them ... something
I must do in the next couple of months to be ready.

We bought the generator at Camping World in in Wood Village. Further
research suggests that Camping World leaves much to be desired when it
comes to service. That first time I used it last winter it took several
phone calls to get someone who could point out the dumb mistake I was
making. The fellow that helped was a Champion rep, not someone from
Camping World. I like that it runs on propane, but I need to look for
someone else to take care of it.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens