[PLUG] Can't remove Read-only folder

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon Apr 2 21:45:20 UTC 2018

I don't know how this folder got created in the first place, except
that it is the name of a .deb file that I tried to get into Xubuntu
17.10 running in Virtualbox. I failed, but solved the problem using a
completely different solution. I failed because I could not get VB to
allow the 17.10 guest to see folders on anything but the host boot
drive. The only thing that 17.10 in VB could see was the optical drive,
so I burned the file to a DVD and used that to get the file into 17.10.

Afterwards, with the optical drive empty, there is a folder remaining
in /media/jjj with the same name as the .deb file. I don't even know how
it got there, but there it is, and because it was from optical media the
host OS (14.04) decided the make it read-only.

I tried rm, rmdir, then chown, and finally chmod 777, with and without
sudo. Chmod 777 -R <foldername> says it is changing permissions, but it
lies. When I look at it with ls -la the permissions are unchanged.
After the command chmod says "chmod: changing permissions of
‘<foldername>’: Read-only file system. In other words, since the folder
is read-only it can't write changes to it.

Well, duh. There has to be some way to get rid of this thing. Ideas?