[PLUG] Having trouble with MS-DFS still...

Tyrell Jentink tyrell at jentink.net
Thu Apr 5 00:14:03 UTC 2018

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018, 11:08 michael <michael at robinson-west.com> wrote:

> I have one instance of Windows Server 2012 R2 180 day trial running in
> Virtualbox
> on top of CentOS 7.

That should work...

Do I need two to three instances of Windows 2012 R2 to implement DFS
> properly?

Probably not for the tests you are running... I mean, replication is
probably Windows Server only, but that's not critical to verifying that
Samba clients can connect...

There are plenty of Windows 10 computers in the office, can the DFS
> server reference
> a single share across two Windows 10 systems?

Probably...? I didn't see anything that specifies any requirements of the
Target folders.  If you aren't using replication, I don't even see a reason
why a Samba server can't be a Target... Of course, one could simply try...

Do I need to bridge Windows Server 2012 R2 or is the default NAT that
> virtual box
> does good enough?  Can I set a different IP address when I bridge?  The
> Linux box is
> on 192.168.1.2, I don't want the Windows Server to share that IP
> address.  I want the
> Windows box to be on 192.168.1.xxx.

The clients have to be able to ping the DFS server. I imagine it could be
done despite NAT, but I would want everyone on the same subnet, same
broadcast domain, same NAT layer...

How do I implement Active directory?  I apparently have to use Active
> directory if I'm
> going to implement MS-DFS.

I don't think that Active Directory is a strict requirement... The example
in the How To is in Directory mode, but it says a Stand-Alone mode is
available...

On the other hand... If the original system in question is in
ActiveDirectory, then all of the clients will have to be in ActiveDirectory
as well, and that may be part of your problem...

Other than that, can I use a samba server to replace a Windows server if
> I have to have
> multiple servers?

I think that's what the server oriented discussion on the aforementioned
Samba wikis was talking about...