[PLUG] Active DIrectory and Bind 9...

michael michael at robinson-west.com
Thu Apr 5 18:04:11 UTC 2018

Active Directory publishes information to the DNS server via dynamic dns
updates, I have to configure
Bind 9 differently on a linux based server to support that or I have to
use Microsoft DNS.

I apparently have to run a DHCP server either on a Linux server or a
Windows server and push updates from it to Bind 9 on Linux or to
Microsoft DNS.

The Netgear Nighthawk router is doing DHCP right now, Uge!

A lot of what I find on Google says use a different domain and host it
with Microsoft's DNS.

Even if I do a different domain and use Microsoft DNS, the Nighthawk
DHCP server will have to be turned off...

I have to turn the Nighthawk's DHCP off anyways.

The changes to implement dynamic DNS to named.conf and to dhcpd.conf
seem simple enough...

Has anyone done this, set up Active Directory with Bind 9 as the primary
name server and
ISC DHCP server for handing out IP addresses?

It might be educational to create a sealed environment in VirtualBox.

The problem I'm trying to solve is not being able to connect to MS-DFS
exported cifs shares from
Linux.