[PLUG] LVM disk transitions?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Apr 6 22:22:22 UTC 2018

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 1:45 PM, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2018, Russell Senior wrote:
>
> I'm looking at doing a server transition.  I've got disks in RAID1 arrays,
>> with LVM running on top. I called the volume groups vg0 on the old and new
>> machines.  There will be an overlap when both servers are plugged in next
>> to each other and I could copy the files over, but I'm thinking about just
>> pulling the disks out of the old server and plugging them into the new
>> machine as secondary disks.  I am wondering if I am going to run into
>> problems with the two volume group names (vg0 and vg0) being the same, but
>> the metadata clashing.
>>
>> Any advice on, say, adding the old-server-vg0 and either merging it with
>> new-server-vg0 or addressing it with a different volume group name, say
>> vg1, so I can address it sanely.  I am not sure if the volume group name
>> is
>> baked into the on-disk metadata.
>>

> vgrename will do what its name suggests.

Thanks for the pointer!  Since my rootfs is in a logical volume, some
additional gyrations were needed, but your reference (which maybe should
have been obvious to me) got me headed in the right direction.  It even
worked the first time, mostly (actually, shutting down had a hickup, so I
had to force a power off, but the reboot came back up fine).