[PLUG] Thinkpad W510 screen replacement?

Mke C> mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 21:36:09 UTC 2018

On 04/07/2018 10:17 AM, plug-request at pdxlinux.org wrote:
> Third-party sites can also tell you about other caveats.  E.g. the
> T61t models have the bezel around the screen glued on with some
> *really*  strong adhesive.  I was careful and managed to remove it
> over the course of about 20-30 minutes, but many people
> recommended just purchasing a replacement bezel because of how
> likely it is to break and to just rip it off in pieces.
>
> The HMMs will give you all you need to replace whatever parts you
> want, but the third-party sites will give you extra tips like the
> above.
>
> All in all, the Thinkpads are generally easy to work on if one is
> even minimally handy.  With most models, it mostly just involves
> removing and replacing screws.  In my experience, the T and X
> series have been very easy to work on.  The W series is basically
> an extension of the T series, so they should be easy to work on
> s well.
Thank you. Very good to know and exactly the kind of info I was hoping
other TP owners would share!

I've replaced the keyboard, added memory, replaced HDs, CD/DVD players
and fans. The build quality and design for easy maintenance, repair,
upgrade to get many years of computing enjoyment out of your Thinkpad
investment is why I've been buying & using them almost exclusively for 2
decades now. My first TP was for a job as field Network Engineer for a
Telecom Equip. manufacturer. The use, abuse & neglect they stood up to
was a strong testament to great design & build quality. I never looked
at anything else after that. I just never had to replace a screen until
now.