[PLUG] MS-DFS a no go.

michael michael at robinson-west.com
Mon Apr 9 15:34:19 UTC 2018

Nobody at my company has MSDN access or MSCE training.  I'm a Linux
programmer, not a Windows programmer.

My question is this, in an environment where you have MS-DFS shares and
can't connect to them from Linux and there is probably Active Directory
as well, can you instead provide a samba
share with: a workgroup, a username, and a password?  To make this more
acceptable, let the customer set: the workgroup, the username, the
password, and the share name.  The customer will
have to figure out how to sync files, but I have no idea how else to
address this.  I'm thinking powershell scripting on the Windows server
to do an rsync or something similar from the
MS-DFS share to the Samba share every say two minutes.  This company
cannot wait for a solution from the Samba community that fixes Samba and
MS-DFS integration.  A solution could be
found today, or five years from now.  The company needs to sell product
yesterday.  I'm in a difficult spot because the company is financially
in trouble.

The company has really awful C/C++ code that uses opencv to auto
calibrate essentially.  Reading the code is totally uninformative.  I
haven't formally studied computer vision.  Solving this problem of auto
calibrate not working is worth more than MS-DFS integration.  The code
has horribly uninformative variable names, it is needlessly threaded,
and it is totally undocumented.  I think we tweaked some constants and
got reasonable results once, but there's no rhyme or reason to what
those constants should be.