[PLUG] replacing a Google group question

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 06:27:00 UTC 2018

On 04/16/2018 10:16 PM, logical american wrote:
> Does anyone know of linux software which has the same functionality as
> Google groups?
>
> Is it possible to host the users on a server? I would like to move a
> Google group off Google.
>
> Does anyone know how to successfully do this?
>
> Randall

You can set up a USENET group, either in the conventional hierarchy, or
under the alt hierarchy by either tosing out there amongst the hoards of
USENET servers out there, or hosting your own with leafnode or similar.
Interesting discussion here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/7xnymz/run_your_own_server/

You could set up a web BBS or forum, with a web server (your own or a
web hosting provider such as nearlyfreespeech.net), running a PHP based
or similar on the web server.

See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_forum_software

One forum I frequent, as do others here, is linuxquestions.org

A internet/web forum can be as simple or as complex as you desire.

-Ed