[PLUG] Emacs: which shell for code debugging?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 27 16:47:06 UTC 2018

   Emacs supports as many flavors of shells as Howard Johnsons had flavors of
ice cream. I've found these varieties, in addition to eshell:

Single Shell: How to run one shell command and return.
Interactive Shell: Permanent shell taking input via Emacs.
Shell Mode: Special Emacs commands used with permanent shell.
Shell Prompts: Two ways to recognize shell prompts.
History: Repeating previous commands in a shell buffer.
Directory Tracking: Keeping track when the subshell changes directory.
Terminal emulator: An Emacs window as a terminal emulator.
Term Mode: Special Emacs commands used in Term mode.

   My immediate need is to run the python3 debugger (pdb) while the source
code is in an emacs buffer.

   Which shell version would be most appropriate for this use?