[PLUG] Boingo Airport Wifi and Linux?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Apr 28 05:53:59 UTC 2018

I fly less than you do, and I don't think I've ever even tried to connect
to Boingo (at least, not for a decade and a half or so).  Were you
associated and just trapped by their captive portal?  It is important to go
to an unencrypted website for the captive portal to work.  These days,
browsers and OS's try to get clever and will try to reach a server of
theirs to see if a captive portal is in the way.  Maybe your browser isn't
clever enough, or maybe you have turned it off for (reasonable) privacy
reasons.  I tend to use the national weather service site.  Nothing they
tell me is very security sensitive.  The NSA probably knows the forecast
already anyway.