[PLUG] Computer Name

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Apr 30 05:28:41 UTC 2018

I understand that computer names are somewhat arbitrary. I know a group
that named their computers after the seven dwarfs. I tend to name my by
the brand/model of the machine since it is rare that I ever have two
alike. My two most recent machines were built by ENU (R.I.P). I named
them ENU-1 and ENU-2. When I installed Ubuntu MATE 18.04 on the box I
call ENU-1 I tried to use that name. The complaint was that there was
already a computer on the network with that name, so for the time being
I named it ENU-1.1.

Two questions.

1. How did the install process know there was a computer named ENU-1, if
ENU-1 wasn't there? Did it find it through a table in the router?

2. If I change that table will everybody be happy? (I have a list of
computers in the router so that they always get assigned the same IP
address.)

Thanks.

--
Regards,