[PLUG] Three questions - Google Fiber in PDX ? Consider AWS or using IPv6 + DNS + 1Gb/s @ $70/month CenturyLink.? City of Portland & Dark Fiber ?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Aug 3 19:33:49 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 4:29 AM, mitch Stanley <webuyhousesphxaz at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, I forgot about Google Fiber , is it available in PDX  ?

No.  In 2014 Google announced that they were looking to deploy in
Portland.  They went as far as negotiating a franchise agreement and a
revised franchise agreement, but in 2016 Google pulled the plug on any new
deployments nationwide. It had nothing to do with Portland specifically.
There are some theories floating around that Portland was being difficult,
but I have it straight from the Google Fiber manager in Portland that they
were very helpful.

>  In regards to considering  these 2 options   - AWS or using IPv6 + DNS +
> 1Gb/s @ $70/month CenturyLink , where would I find further  information.?

Gigabit from CenturyLink is (afaik) currently $80. They use PPPoE for
provisioning IP addresses. They use 6rd to provision IPv6, which makes your
IPv6 allocation dependent on the IPv4 address they happen to give you. With
any restart of the PPPoE connection, you get a new IPv4 address. Three
years ago, when I got my service, my address was changing twice a day, on
average.  Other people report theirs is more stable.  To get a single
static IPv4 address cost me $75 to set up and $10/month.  I believe you can
also get a /29 allocation of IPv4 for a bit more.  You would find further
information by calling and talking to them, but don't be surprised if their
billing department and their sales department aren't on the same page.  The
billing department is the more important one.