[PLUG] Semi-OT: Anybody here used Bazel?

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Sat Aug 4 17:42:23 UTC 2018

I've been tasked with evaluating the replacement of build tools for a
very large, multi-platform, multi-language (mostly Java and C++)
client-server application.  Currently, the app is built using a
combination of Ant, Ivy, Java, Make, GCC, Visual Studio, and a whole
lot (and I do mean *a lot*) of Perl gluing things together.  It's
complex, brittle, and slow.

Bazel (https://bazel.build) sounds like it might be a candidate for us,
as it is designed for big heterogeneous applications like ours. But I
don't find a whole lot of information about it other than its own web
page, and I find its tutorials rather opaque and unilluminating.
Curious if anyone has had experience with it, especially for C++
builds.

--
David Fleck <david.fleck at mchsi.com>