[PLUG] Moving into new territory

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Aug 27 15:21:01 UTC 2018

   I'm ready to set up the new desktop server/workstation with the Asus FX990
motherboard and am about to enter into new territory. Avoiding pitfalls and
gotcha's is highly desired.

   Research has shown me that I will use the GPT partition type and that UEFI
is installed on this motherboard (based on the appearance of the setup
screen). Having no familiarity with either, and no non-Windows guide to it
in the system board manual, I have some questions I'd like answered:

   1. The system sees the SSD, hard drive, and optical drive. It offers the
first two for selecting boot options. Is there a way to add a USB device as
a boot option? My prefered sequence is USB drive, optical drive, hard drive.

   2. I'll be installing Slackware-14-2/x86_64. I've read on various mail
lists about UEFI issues. Might I encounter any of these? If so, how do I
avoid them?

   3. With the UEFI setup is there a standard way to set date/time and some
of the other options? I had to connect a mouse to select the optical drive
over the hard drive(s) for booting, but clicking on everything else visible
did nothing (e.g., selecting performance, quite, or energy saving
operations).

   All advice and suggestions are welcome.