[PLUG] Moving into new territory

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Aug 27 16:45:06 UTC 2018

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018, Ben Koenig wrote:

> Here are a few things to keep in mind for Slackware 14.2 on UEFI
>
> First.... EFI will replace your bootloader. So the standard LILO boot menu
> you've gotten used to will go away

Ben,

   I read that the elilo boot menu would work in an equivalent way.

> Second... Make sure your BIOS is set to EFI/UEFI boot. You will probably
> see an option for legacy or compatibilty mode to revert to non-EFI
> booting. If your plan is to use EFI then this will create duplicate boot
> options and cause confusion, so disable it for simplicity.

   I believe this is the default as the initial screen looks like the control
panel for the space shuttle. Pretty dials and fancy fluff. The BIOS is from
2011; the CPU is of the same vintage. I suppose the BIOS firmware can be
upgraded on this system ... somehow.

> Third.. The Slackware 14.2 installer is EFI capable. All you need to do is
> make sure you booted in EFI mode and created a >100MB EFI system partition
> at the beginning of your boot drive, before launching setup. The installer
> will prompt when needed to perform EFI setup tasks. Since the boot menu
> has been moved to the BIOS, you won't need to go through the LILO setup
> prompts.

   So, while the current /boot partion is 100M (and uses 88M of that) the
UEFI partition needs more?

> UEFI has all the same BIOS options as in the past, but these new eZbIoS
> screens are so complicated I tend to avoid them like the plague...... so
> yes, you can set it to boot USB first.

   Good to know.

   Will lunch or a couple of microbrews buy your experienced assistance in
getting this installation started?