[PLUG] Reliable long term, off-line storage

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Aug 27 23:03:35 UTC 2018

On 08/27/2018 03:41 PM, Jason Barnett wrote:
> Even if the USB standard still exists in some form, it will be the drivers
> that will likely be the biggest problem.

I actually had a similar issue last winter. Our vintage 1987 church
organ fine wore out. Parts were no longer easily available. We were
offered a digital organ, vintage 2008. It came with a CD with a program
to be used to "voice" the organ. That program runs on Windows XP. The
company is still in operation, but the current software does not
correctly handle our 2008 model. As it happens, I had a laptop, my old
Acer Aspire, which I asked questions about on this list a good number of
years ago, and had run Linux Mint on. It does not support newer OSs,
being only a 32 bit machine. So, long story short, I still had the
original restore CD for the machine, and was able to load Win XP, and
the organ voicing software. The organ technician was able to use it. It
now resides, locked away, in the church basement, with a large note
instructing anyone who finds it that they must leave it as is to support
the organ. We may never need to use it again, but if we do, that is
likely the only tool available to do the job. Even the organ tech
doesn't have a copy anymore.

Fun with advancing technology.

--
Regards,