[PLUG] VirtualBox on Slackware

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat Dec 1 21:16:44 UTC 2018

On 11/28/18 9:29 PM, Ben Koenig wrote:
> I'm honestly too lazy to type out an entire walkthrough.... so here are a
> couple links to the community documentation and a video I tossed together.
>
> How to do the thing: https://slackbuilds.org/howto/
> Fun fact: I rarely have a question that has not already been asked.
> https://slackbuilds.org/faq/
>
> And a youtube video walking through SlackBuild usage in real time:
> https://youtu.be/dAjfZD8Am3A

Very helpful video. Thanks. And I'll take your advice and start with
something other than VirtualBox.

> VirtualBox is more or less the same. However, for virtualbox there are a
> few additional steps, and 3, THREE packages. If you are coming from Ubuntu,
> the concept of dependencies may be new to you since they handle those as
> background installs.

Once I get to VirtualBox, I note that this is the open source version.
For the laptop, that's probably okay. But for my "work" machine, I need
to have USB functionality that is only in the Oracle provided version. I
use a program only available for Windows, and it uses a USB footpedal
that isn't recognized by the open source version of VirtualBox.

Looking at the Oracle VirtualBox downloads page for Linux, most of the
things provided are Ubuntu, Debian, openSUSE, and Fedora. The last entry
says, "All distributions (built on EL5 and therefore do not require
recent system libraries) i386
<https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.22/VirtualBox-5.2.22-126460-Linux_x86.run>
AMD64
<https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.22/VirtualBox-5.2.22-126460-Linux_amd64.run>"
Am I likely to get something useful for Slackware there? If not, it
kinda makes using Slackware for my everyday machine not possible.

Meanwhile, I'll try something simpler, like ClamAV and see how the
process goes.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens