[PLUG] VirtualBox on Slackware

Tomas K tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 22:25:06 UTC 2018

This is turning into general discussion - still I see the original
point of this email tread in a need to reuse existing VirtualBox
virtual machine image/installation.

So it makes little sense to try do anything but VirtualBox.

Often, the decision to use vBox was made decade or even longer ago.
There was very little of KVM back then, so the choices were Xen, vBox
or VMware. I would argue that Xen versus vBox 10-15 years ago was
really matter of taste, remember vBox was being actively opened by Sun
Microsystem.

I do not think that it is good idea doing fresh long term virtual
machine build in VMware or vBox today - Given the almost infinite
desire/need for longevity of these installations; and our experience
with fully commercial software over the course of multiple
acquisitions. If VMware or vBox changes their mind about their license
or support - one would find it extremely difficult, if not impossible,
to install that VM on your next hardware 3-5 years from now.

Tomas