[PLUG] VirtualBox on Slackware

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 08:48:29 UTC 2018

My build order for VirtualBox using the SBo scripts would be as follows:

1) acpica
2) virtualbox-kernel
3) virtualbox

At this point I would test to make sure everything is working. If yes,
build and install virtualbox-extension-pack for other features. You don't
need the 'addon' packages, those are for use in a Slackware guest, not a
host.
Don't forget to create a vboxusers group and add yourself to it.

i'll also keep a copy of the build scripts and source archives on my local
system in case I need to rebuild it. virtualbox-kernel builds a kernel
module, so when you install security updates for your kernel this will need
to be rebuilt and reinstalled.
The other packages should be fine as long as you don't change the version
of the kernel package when you rebuild.

You can install from the self installing script they provide, but you will
probably need to re-run this script every time there is a kernel update. It
would be much cleaner to use a tgz package for it.

Also, these tgz package files you are creating are portable. You can back
them up to an external HDD or something so that you don't have to keep
rebuilding them. In the event that you need to reinstall Slackware or set
up a second computer, you can just install these packages without having to
go through all this compiling again.