[PLUG] centos/rhel 7 ttyUSB group ownership with FTDI adapter

Johnathan Mantey manteyjg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 19:31:34 UTC 2018

You may want to add something like this to a udev rule:

KERNEL=="ttyUSB[0-9]*",GROUP="dialout",MODE="0660"

You may also like to do something like this (probably won't work for FTDI
knockoffs):
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="FTDI_TTL232R-3V3_FTF89IVR",
SYMLINK+="myCoolUSBDevName"

You can add yourself to the "dialout" group in /etc/groups.  Logout, and
login, and check your group access via 'id'.

Use 'udevadm' magic to get the FTDI serial string.  I leave that research
to your favorite search engine.

Once all of this is done you can use '/dev/myCoolUSBDevName' to refer to
the USB device.