[PLUG] Problem with Google Earth Install

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 03:59:24 UTC 2018

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 12:37 PM Tomas K <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I was kind of curious what is Google Earth. So ....
>
> I tried GEarth on bunch of Ubuntu installs both 16.04 and 18.04
> I experienced no problems with GoogleEarth after doing following:
> 1. Download:
>    wget -Nc https://dl.google.com/dl/earth/client/current/google-earth-
> pro-stable_current_amd64.deb
> <https://dl.google.com/dl/earth/client/current/google-earth-pro-stable_current_amd64.deb>
>    You might need to visit https://www.google.com/earth/versions/ in
> browser
> 2. Install:
>    sudo dpkg -i google-earth-pro-stable_current_amd64.deb
>    (the installation added repository to
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth-pro.list)
>    So, it should be updating itself normally when running apt upgrade
> 3. Start it:
>    google-earth-pro &
> It works as expected - according to Google's web screenshots.
>
> My Ubuntu installations are mostly default without any of odd bits and
> pieces of customization often discussed here.
>
> In terms of your issues I'd try to:
> * remove it and reinstall by:
>   sudo apt remove google-earth-pro-stable
>   sudo apt update
>   sudo install google-earth-pro-stable
>
> If that does not help - are you using X or Wayland? I believe that I am
>  using X on both 16.04 as well as 18.04.
>
> I cannot offer much help with GUI type problems as I am not a GUI kind
> of guy. It just work for me in the default shape and form and I do not
> feel the need to fight little changes and annoyances    with
> trivial workarounds - I do not mind adjusting self as things change.
>
> Hope it helps, Tomas
>

> > Okay, screen shot is at http://nwgrr.org/SS-GE.png
> >
> > You can see my desktop is shown in the primary screen, the toolbar
> > thing is
> > on the left, and the actual map is a small box in the upper left
> > corner. I
> > can manipulate the small map, zoom, scroll, etc. but I can't really
> > do anything useful as it is so small.

I tried your suggestion. Didn't work well.

$ sudo install google-earth-pro-stable
install: missing destination file operand after 'google-earth-pro-stable'
Try 'install --help' for more information.

My biggest problem with Linux is it works so well. I rarely do things and
when I try, I forget how it should be done.

Michael