[PLUG] Problem with Google Earth Install

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 03:05:51 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 8:22 AM Ben Koenig <techkoenig at gmail.com> wrote:

> The issue you are encountering is a conflict occurring between several
> different parts. With the right combination of hardware and software you
> get the problem represented in your screenshot.
> 10 years ago this was not a thing. The Ubuntu desktop wasn't even capable
> of doing that.
>
> Tomas already did the first thing for us, he installed on a different
> system, same ubuntu, same package and it worked. So I'm guessing that you
> have the correct version of Google Earth AND it is compatible with Ubuntu.
> So what we need to know is which graphics card you have, and which driver
> it is using. I can't remember how to look this up in Ubuntu graphically so
> just copy/paste the following command:
>
> lspci | grep VGA
>
> The output of that command will tell me what GPU you have. I'd be willing
> to bet that your 10 year old optiplex is not compatible with newer render
> techniques in Google Earth, but we can look that up :)
> Maybe a current ubuntu user could provide the point&click method since that
> would be preferrable for getting the info we need.
>

> As for my claim about this being a common Ubuntu thing. Dude, I have
>
> installed/configured/built/setup/maintained/supported/fixed/tested/designed/customized
> and otherwise touched (directly or indirectly) over 5000 Ubuntu systems
> based on 8.04, 10.04, 12.04, and 14.04 in a 5 year time-span. When I say
> this is a common problem, I'm literally just looking at my entire sample
> size. So that screenshot you showed us is not at all surprising to me. It
> can technically occur on any distro, just more common for recent Ubuntu
> versions (>12.04).
>

> On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 8:33 PM Michael Barnes <barnmichael at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 7:32 AM Ben Koenig <techkoenig at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The problem in that screenshot may not be related to Google earth.
> > >
> > > It looks like an issue with the GUI rendering system. Unity uses
> > > compositing (with GPU acceleration) to render all windows, but so does
> > > Google Earth. So the points of failure could be any of the following:
> > > 1) google earth was built improperly, or for a different version of
> > Ubuntu
> > > 2) your graphics driver is not installed correctly (this is common for
> > > nvidia cards)
> > > 3) ubuntu's desktop compositor is doing something stupid
> > >
> > > Rule out #1 by checking the file used to install Google Earth. Make
> sure
> > > the ubuntu version listed by the .deb is the version you are running
> > > Ruling out #2 is a bit more difficult. Maybe post your GPU brand/model
> > and
> > > the driver version you are using here?
> > >
> > > Rule out #3 by running the same Google Earth package, on the same
> system,
> > > but a different DE. If it works on XFCE and not Unity then you know
> where
> > > the problem is.
> [...]

Ben,
I most certainly defer to your experience.  Once again, I thank you for
your patience with me. Your time to explain this to me is exemplary and
refreshing. Too many times I ask a question and get dozens of worthless
"answers" of RTFM, or folks telling me what my question 'should' be, or
simply telling me I'm doing it wrong.

Anyhow, per your request.
$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
RV516 [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]

You know, I've been thinking it is probably time to get new hardware. I
used to build all my own computers, as I never could afford anything
pre-built, and they all came with Windows which jacked up the price. When I
started my previous job in 2006, they allowed me to order whatever I
wanted. At that time, we could buy Dell computers under the corporate
contract without an operating system installed. I got this machine and have
used it ever since. The only thing I have done to it was a couple times
installed a new hard drive and new version of Ubuntu from scratch and
copied my old files over.  I haven't even done that since 2014 or so.

While Google Earth isn't really that big of deal for me, this issue may be
the incentive I need to upgrade hardware. I hope the above information
confirms your suspicions.

Thanks again for your help.
Michael