[PLUG] Play a video from the command line?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu Dec 13 02:47:37 UTC 2018

Searching tells me that Mplayer is supposed to be able to play a video
from the command line. (I haven't had time to learn more.)

What I want to do is to be able to initiate the playing of a video on
computer A from computer B, but have the video output stay on computer
A. I have a computer with HDMI out connected to the TV. For watching
videos, that's fine, except the controls for starting and stopping are
hard to see from across the room. Years ago I wrote a web based program
to play audio on a computer connected to the living room stereo that let
me do that from any other computer in the house. I used the command play
to do that. It worked fine. I'm hoping I can do something similar with
video.

I suppose another approach would be to use one of the tools that can
take over one computer from another, where the video would show up on
both computers. That would meet the requirements, too.

Anyway, has anyone done anything like this with Linux?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens