[PLUG] LAMP on Slackware

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Dec 24 17:57:20 UTC 2018

On 12/24/18 8:26 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Dec 2018, Dick Steffens wrote:
>
>> Also, while I've always used MySQL, I'm aware of MariaDB and wonder
>> about
>> starting out with it instead of MySQL.
>
> Dick,
>
>   MariaDB, I believe, is an open source fork of MySQL.

Yes.

 From the MySQL Wikipedia page:

In January 2008, Sun Microsystems bought *MySQL* AB for $1 billion. In
April 2009, *Oracle* Corporation entered into an agreement to purchase
Sun Microsystems, then owners of *MySQL* copyright and trademark.

 From the MariaDB Wikipedia page:

*MariaDB* is a community-developed fork
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development)> of the MySQL
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQL> relational database management
system
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_database_management_system>
intended to remain free under the GNU GPL
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License>. Development
is led by some of the original developers of MySQL, who forked it due to
concerns over its acquisition by Oracle Corporation
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_Corporation>

> Because I've used
> only PostgreSQL and Sqlite I don't know the back story on the others.
> But,
> MariaDB has replaced the default MySQL in Slackware.

So I've been reading. I'll do some fiddling around with some demo
programs and see how it goes.

Thanks.

--
Regards,