[PLUG] LAMP on Slackware

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 01:07:58 UTC 2018

It was referring to MariaDB.

Since MariaDB functions as a drop-in replacement, all launch scripts and
programs follow the same naming convention. This allows compatibility with
existing scripts and programs. Anything looking for "mysql" will end up
using MariaDB with minimal differences.
In general the only difference you will see is the package used to ship
updates.

The 'mariadb' package includes all SQL related scripts and programs for
running SQL databases.

It satisfies the M in LAMP. When setting up something like wordpress, you
will configure it to use SQL, and everything should link up just fine.

If you want to check for SQL security updates, just make sure you look for
MariaDB, not MySQL in the slackware package list.