[PLUG] Resolved: WiFi Locked -- XFCE on Slackware

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Dec 26 16:54:04 UTC 2018

On 12/25/18 1:16 AM, King Beowulf wrote:

> Network Manager (NM) can be fussy when switching DEs.  Did you try a
> clean reboot going directly into Xfce?
>
> the padlock just means the connection needs the wifi password/key. KDE
> saved the the key in its wallet (if enabled, or with NM) and Xfce can't
> find it - it uses a different method to store passwords (gnome keyring
> if enabled or in NM config files).  When you click on the wifi systray
> icon in Xfce, then on your SSID, does a password box pop up?

No. I get a box that says, "Disconnected. The network connection has
been disconnected."

> If so,
> enter it, or set up the keyring if asked.  If not, right-click on the
> wifi icon and select "edit connections". In the Window that pops up,
> either edit your existing SSID to add the missing information, or create
> a new one with the appropriate wifi parameters.

Tried that. it didn't keep the passphrase. I created a new one, after
removing the existing one. That one let me put in the passphrase. But I
still get the "Disconnected" message when I try to use it. When I look
at the network connections again, I can edit my SSID, and the passphrase
is still there, and the Last Used column shows a time (6 minutes ago,
although I understand this will change). There is also an additional
SSID with the same name as the other one, with an additional 1 after it,
and a Last Used time of never. I edited it and put in the passphrase.
Then I clicked on the Network Manager icon, selected the SSID, watched
the icon do it's spin thing, and it says connected with a last used of
"now." Now it works.

I guess I'll call that one resolved.

Thanks.

--