[PLUG] Slackware Firefox out of date

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 22:50:53 UTC 2018

On 12/26/18 1:57 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 12/26/18 11:25 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>> �You should have /etc/lilo.conf, and the upgrade also included the kernel
>> so you need to build a new initial ram disk (mkinitrd); instructions in
>> /boot/README.initrd.
>
> Those instructions assume you know where the upgrade put the new kernel,
> and that you know the version. I know neither.

Dick

After a full install and setup you "should" have a /etc/lilo.conf for
the originally installed kernel *UNLESS* your desktop is newer and thus
uses *UEFI* in which case you are using elilo which has its
configuration under

/boot/efi/EFI/Slackware/

After slackpkg update and upgrall-all, you now have a new kernel and the
system needs to be told who/what/where.  lilo vs elilo instructions are
very different.  Since you do not have a lilo.conf, you must have
installed via elilo.

To upgrade the kernel on a default installation, i.e., no initrd, simply
copy the new kernel (not symlink) to /boot/efi/EFI/Slackware/

The default is the huge kernel; some of us prefer the generic kernel.
The generic kernel only loads modules for found hardware; huge loads
everything.

to create and initrd (reguired to use generic kernel *ONLY*), as root

cd /boot
mkinitrd -c -k 4.4.157 -m ext4 -f ext4 -r /dev/sda2
cp initrd.gz /boot/efi/EFI/Slackware/
cp vmlinuz-generic-4.4.157 /boot/efi/EFI/Slackware/vmlinuz-generic

(this assumes that your /dev/sda2 root partition in etx4 file system;
adjust as needed).

or just

cp /boot/vmlinuz-huge-4.4.157 /boot/efi/EFI/Slackware/vmlinuz

(/boot/efi/EFI/Slackware/vmlinuz must be the same file name as in
/boot/efi/EFI/Slackware/elilo.conf

I will email you a pdf of what mine looks like so you have the locations
etc. Note that I have 2 boot entries: generic by default and huge as a
safety.  ignore *.cpio as that is an Intel firmware update specific to
my CPU.

-Ed