[PLUG] A survey of backup philosophies/methods?

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 21:34:44 UTC 2018

You seem to be looking for a reliable work space, not a backup. Low-level
OS hacking requires a scratch system isolated from the rest of the world.

If your plan is to learn about the "guts of Linux" then at some point you
will peel away at the subsystems used for networking. It would be a shame
if - in the name of education - you somehow broke your network config and
were unable to reach out to PLUG for help.

For you, a reasonable backup may be nothing more than a solid, well-built
computer running a long-term support OS. Maybe throw in a basic RAID1 just
for giggles.