[PLUG] Slackware Firefox out of date

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Dec 30 01:11:01 UTC 2018

On 12/29/18 4:59 PM, Ben Koenig wrote:
> Comedy of errors.
>
> First, you wanted to update firefox, so you ran the slackpkg upgrade-all
> command as suggested by another user here.

Right.

> This pulled in a new firefox, in
> addition to a new kernel version and everything else since you last ran
> updates. That's when you saw the error about lilo.conf not existing.
>
> At this point, you received further advice to resolve this by creating the
> needed lilo config, which was not accurate since you aren't actually using
> LILO, and have no need for lilo.conf.

Yep. That I remember.

> For your setup, and all EFI setups, every time you update the kernel you
> MUST copy the new kernel version into the EFI folder, overwriting the old
> vmlinuz file.
> $ cp /boot/vmlinuz-huge /boot/efi/EFI/Slackware/vmlinuz
>
> No further action is needed. A simple copy command will suffice here.
> Unfortunately you received a large amount of unapplicable advice which
> resulted in you adding to elilo.conf, which corrupted the config.

Sounds like I should print this out and tape it somewhere where I'll see
it.

> With EFI unable to boot slackware due to incorrect configuration files,
> your BIOS fell back to an existing MBR bootloader after elilo failed, as
> configured in your BIOS boot settings. Seems like GRUB was probably your
> old bootloader from Ubuntu.
> Since you kept your existing partitions and told Slackware to use EFI, it
> never overwrote the MBR (you can install to MBR as an optional step in the
> installer)

That sounds logical. I'm thinking now that I should have formatted
/dev/sda1 in addition to formatting /dev/sda2. Then the installer would
have seen a blank canvas. But think how much experience I wouldn't have
gotten. :-)

> Whenever you install kernel updates, you MUST copy the new kernel to the
> EFI folder. And you must do this BEFORE you reboot, otherwise things will
> crash and burn.

As I said above, I should print this out and tape it somewhere where
I'll see it.

Thanks. Things appear to be running normally. I compressed my T-bird
profile and copied it over to the Slackware machine. That was
successful. Now I'm about to do the same with my .mozilla profile. Then
I'll go back to getting the nVidia driver installed.

Thanks again.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens