[PLUG] Domain dead; Mailman sends monthly reminders

wes plug at the-wes.com
Thu Feb 1 19:20:51 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 10:50 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Feb 2018, Daniel Bolduc wrote:
>
> Rich, your original message lists the expiry date as 2019.
>>

>   That's correct, and as I wrote in my original message I sent Armaghan an
> e-mail about this. However, I've sent several messsages to him over the
> past
> couple of years with no response.
>
>   My curiosity is why Mailman sends out notices about a defunct mail list
> when it's a web server application and the web server appears to not be
> active.
>
> Rich

Mailman isn't a web server application. It has a web interface, but it's
not required for Mailman to work. It just means that whatever server the
original maintainer was using to host web and mail services for this
product is still up and running. Probably hosting whatever his new endeavor
is.

You can't reach it because the domain is no longer set up. Maybe he just
quit paying for the hosting package at his provider.

Imagine if your domain expired. Your copy of Mailman running on your system
at your house would still be happily sending out monthly membership
notices, none the wiser. The only difference it would notice is a sudden
drop in incoming messages.

-wes