[PLUG] How did I offend? was [Re: Apology appropriate?]

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sun Feb 4 21:34:41 UTC 2018

On 02/04/2018 08:00 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> My brother asked about receiving unsolicited emails after visiting a
> specific website. I don't use any of the providers he does. His
> interests are quite different than mine and I suspect we rarely, if
> ever, visit the the same sites.
>
> I asked some OS agnostic questions. When I found that he had recently
> changed *OS _versions*, I mentioned it. In passing I mentioned that it
> was two versions of Windows. Some were apparently offended that their
> assistance was assisting a Windows user. For possible offense, I apologize.
>
> King Beowulf's post causes me to realize that the underlying problem is
> cookie control and the use of free(sic) services/sites. Have routinely
> avoided unrestricted use of cookies, JavaScript, and so-called "free"
> services since the early days of WindowsXP.

What did I do wrong?
I am the family geek.
My brother uses *THAT* [description deleted] OS.
He asked a legitimate question that I could not answer.
I thought there was generic problem.
What would be acceptable to this OS explicit forum?

P.S. Earlier this A.M. I received a panic *HELP* email from a friend
from the last century. He users *THAT* OS. I believe there are
appropriate Linux tools available to address the underlying problem.

May I ask related OS agnostic questions?