[PLUG] Virtual Box hard crashes desktop system

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 21:17:01 UTC 2018

I would second the extension pack as possible, cause.

With virtualBox, the kernel module and host additions need to be upgraded
in sync. It is wise to also keep the guest additions in sync, especially if
you left it drift for a while.

I have vBox 5.2.6 working fine on openSuSE.

This is maybe unrelated to your current issue. Still, it is something to
consider.

When switching hosts - they might have different CPUs, with different
features exposed to guests. Unless you lock it down to the lowest common
denominator in your guest config, you might run into crashes or even have
you windows instance disabled.

When you use something as old as w2k in virtualBox or KVM or .... It would
make sense to be cautious while upgrading. The host additions and/or guest
drivers need to be compatible with your w2k. So it would make sense to
check the release notes for the dreaded incompatible message. At some point
in the future, even inside virtual machines, these old OS's will become
dead due to their drivers becoming broken.

Hope it helps, Tomas

On Feb 5, 2018 8:05 AM, "Ken Stephens" <kennethgstephens at gmail.com> wrote:

Sounds like you need to install the extension pack for your upgraded VB.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads