[PLUG] Alea jacta est*

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Feb 8 23:57:13 UTC 2018

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 00:23:42 -0800
King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> dijo:

>No quibbles here except for the power supply.
>
>300W is going to be a bit thin at load even with intel GPU, and a HD or
>two, some USB stuff and you are already pushing almost 200W at load.
>Also, this power supply is for older style AT boards. You need ATX
>power supply unless you want to modify plugs and use adapters - and
>have enough 3.3V and 12V amps.
>Don't skimp on the power supply.  A poor choice can fry all the other
>components.

The CPU is rated at 91w full load. I can't find specs for the
motherboard and RAM. As for drives, there will be two optical drives,
but all the other storage will be SSD. There will be one case fan. I
find it difficult to believe that I will exceed 300w.

However I do take to heart your comment about ATX. I knew that the
motherboard was ATX, but it never occurred to me that power supplies
were not universal. I just bought the cheapest 300w power supply they
had.

Having said the above, the computer I will be putting together is a
replacement for a seven-year old computer in a case with a 500x Antec
EA-500 power supply:

https://www.antec.com/product.php?Type=c:\boot.ini&id=MTIxNQ==&lan=jp

Antec's web site does not say if it is an ATX power supply, but it is
currently powering an ATX motherboard, so it probably is. The only
reasons I bought the new power supply is because the existing case,
power supply, RAM, motherboard and CPU will go to a good home, and sans
power supply it is not plug and play, plus the existing power supply
is now seven years old. Still, it is a backup.

>Also, hope you budgeted heatsink/fan and thermal compound.  I new Free
>Geek has boxes of heatsinks but not all will fit the newer CPUs.
>Cooler Master and Thermaltake in the $20-30 range are good.
>
>Also, I've recently switched from Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound to
>the non-electrically conductive Arctic MX-4. 8 yr durability, stays
>soft. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB7G5F67951

This is also something that I did not buy. Free Geek has nothing for
socket 1151. Best Buy at Jantzen Beach might have a heatsink/fan and
thermal compound but Best Buy no longer answers their phones inside
the store. Damn, I miss ENUinc. It looks like I might need to make a
trip to Wilsonville before next Saturday (18th).

Thanks for the heads up!