[PLUG] VLC 3.0

Rigel Hope gnu at rigelhope.org
Mon Feb 12 05:33:23 UTC 2018

(Hopefully this is not a repeat)

Avi and mkv are not formats, exactly. They are container standards.
An avi can be encoded with any number of algorithms, from mpeg2 to indeo to
h264. Same with mkv, but mkv has a lot more payload options, is my
impression - so that you can have multiple audio tracks, subtitles, etc.

So, I forget which gstreamer utils help you with this, but you can look at
that information with that tool suite. There's probably others too, I just
dont know em.
And bottom line is, its less likely that VLC can't read the container
format, and more likely that the codec plugin isnt installed.