[PLUG] Concatenating two square icons to get single rectangular image

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Thu Feb 15 00:53:38 UTC 2018

On 02/14/2018 04:13 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Serendipity *RULES* <grin>
> Just before reading your post and after following an unreproducible web
> of references and links I had found <http://www.graphicsmagick.org/>. I
> found hints that what I wanted was possible - but how was unclear.
>
> "montage -geometry <size> <file1> <file2> ...<filen> <output>" resembled
> what I'd seen. I then used "montage" as a search term at
> <https://manpages.debian.org/>. That delivered
> <https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat/montage.1.en.html>
> which described what I wanted.
>
> There are strong hints that its output will be a "miff" format file.
> It's not yet clear if that can be converted to a "png" format file.
>
> If that can not be done, it will not be usable on a MATE panel.
> HOWEVER I've found references on <http://wiki.tcl.tk/> that I can
> achieve a suitable substitute.
>
> " How the program decides how to arrange the pictures " is not terribly
> important as long as it is repeatable.
>
> I doubt authors were thinking of my constraints.
> *HOWEVER*, if it works I'm happy.
> I'm off to discover just what a "miff" formatted image might be.

As Richard says, it's okay to under use a tool.  There's tons of
capability in bash that I don't use, but that doesn't stop me from using
it on a daily basis.

montage is part of ImageMagick.  What I think you want is montage
concatenation mode.

<http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/montage/>
Scroll down near the bottom of the page to find concatenation mode
described.

I believe montage (and ImageMagick in general) will look at the filename
extension of the output file to determine the output file type.

Something like this is probably what you want:

montage icon1.png icon2.png -mode Concatenate -tile x1 output.png

galen
--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com