[PLUG] Changing user gid in /etc/passwd

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Feb 17 18:46:12 UTC 2018

   Upgrading postgresql-9.6.6 to -10.2 something went wrong and I'm close to
fixing it ... I think!

   The problem seems to be that user 'postgres' did not have uid 209 and gid
209. The former uid and gid (which were different, 1015 and 26 IIRC) worked
with all versions of postgres from 6.x through 9.6.6, but 10.x wants the uid
and gid to be 209. OK by me, so I make changes with pwd = /etc:

   grpmod -g 209 postgres
   usermod -u 209 postgres

   This looks OK, eh?

# less group | grep postgres
postgres:x:209:

but,

# less passwd | grep postgres
postgres:x:209:100:,,,:/home/postgres:/bin/bash

   My questions are: How to I change passwd to use the corrected gid? Do I just
edit it manually or is there a command to run?

TIA,