[PLUG] Gaming graphics cards?

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 04:54:30 UTC 2018

Like you, I am not a gamer, data center, technical/data computing kind of a
guy.

I got fanless MSI GT 1030 for $70 before Christmas for a kid gaming on
Ubuntu + Steam playing everything he wants just fine (some multiplayer
shooter games - Rust is one of them).

I got the card for these reasons - good enough, not overpriced (useless for
mining) and it is the only GT ... with display port.

It just works, no trouble whatsoever on Ubuntu 16.04 with the latest Nvidia
drivers.

So far everyone is very happy with it. I can recommend it.

In regards to your server room VM setup idea - how are you planning to
display the stuff from far away server room? It will be pretty much useless
for gaming unless you can connect it disectly to a monitor, keyboard an
mouse. Vnc is too slow even for Minecraft .... and will probably bypass
your graphics card too.

Best luck, Tomas