[PLUG] Getting up from chair brings desktop out of suspend

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Feb 21 19:09:15 UTC 2018

On 02/21/2018 10:54 AM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> I assume this is due to static electricity creating some sort of
> disturbance.
>
> I have an AST usb keyboard.  Keyboard presses are what normally wakes the
> computer.  Moving or clicking the mouse does not.
>
> Although this is but a minor annoyance, I would like to figure out what
> part of my system is responding to what I assume are electromagnetic waves.
>
> Ideas?

It's the anxiety sensor. I first learned of these from John, a
technician at Prime Computer back in the late '70s. Every summer we
would get a crop of new engineering graduates. They would often get
frustrated when trying to boot up an machine in the lab. The tech told
them it was the anxiety sensor. The machine can sense when the operator
is anxious, and will respond by refusing to work correctly. John would
then calmly walk up to the machine, flip the front panel switches a
number of times, and the machine would boot up. The new engineers would
always gawk in awe of this super tech.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens