[PLUG] Open Source Architect CAD

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 22 01:00:22 UTC 2018

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018, Michael Barnes wrote:

> Looking for an Open Source CAD program to create construction plans. I
> don't need anything complicated, but would like something with components
> like standard dimensional lumber I can just put in place to build walls,
> etc. I'm building a large shed and the city needs drawn plans for the
> permits. I've got to show construction details, stud and rafter spacing,
> floor and roof details, etc.

Michael,

   Take a look at these (from a ubuntu site):

mmunications through documentation, and to create a database for manufacturing. More info...

     ARCAD - A commercial Computer Aided Design application for architects.

     ARES Commander Edition - A commercial, feature-packed CAD application
for engineers and architects. Free trial available. It has AutoCAD 2010
native file support.

     Bricscad - A commercial, feature-packed CAD application for engineers
and architects. Free trial available. It has AutoCAD 2010 native file
support.

     BRL-CAD - A Open Source 3D-CAD program. It is a Constructive Solid
Geometry (CSG) solid modeling system with over 20 years development and
production use by the U.S. military.

     CollabCAD - 3D and 2D commercial mechanical engineering CAD/CAM based on
open source software . Freeware-Version available.

     CyCAS - A commercial Computer Aided Design application for architects.
There is a public version available.

     DraftSight - A free 2D CAD application based on ARES, for engineers and
architects. E-mail registration required after 30 days trial. It has AutoCAD
2010 native file support.

     FreeCAD http://packages.ubuntu.com/freecad - Modern Open Source
parametric CAD modeler geared toward mechanical engineering, product design
and architecture among others, fully expandable through Python. While still
under development, FreeCAD is highly usable and currently offers features
found in commercial grade 3D CAD software offerings (like Catia and
SolidWorks). Development releases available through a PPA, check the
official site for details.

     gCAD3D - A 3D-surface-CAD/CAM. Program is freeware.

     Graphiteone - 3D and 2D commercial mechanical engineering CAD. Version
3.0: With Parasolid-Kernel from Siemens PLM, Evaluation licence for one
month available.

     LibreCAD http://packages.ubuntu.com/librecad - A 2D CAD application.
Highly active fork of QCad, ported to Qt4. Available in the Universe
repositories starting with Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal.

     MEDUSA - 2D/3D commercial mechanical engineering CAD. Free for personal
use only.

     QCad http://packages.ubuntu.com/qcad - A 2D-Computer Aided Design
application similar AutoCAD.

     Varicad - Modern 3D and 2D commercial mechanical engineering CAD. Cheap
CATIA, Pro/E - LIGHT. Trial version for one month available.

     Varkon http://packages.ubuntu.com/varkon - Open Source 3D- (parametric)
and 2D-Development platform for a CAD program. It is available in the
universe repositories.

     Webersys - 3D and 2D commercial mechanical engineering CAD/CAM. Trial version for one month available.

   Years ago I learned Varkon; it's like R and other applications because
it's a function-specific programming language. It worked well for me. I also
used qcad and freecad a couple of times. But, haven't done any CAD work for
years.

HTH,