[PLUG] Open Source Architect CAD

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Feb 22 02:22:34 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 04:37:19PM -0800, Michael Barnes wrote:
> Looking for an Open Source CAD program to create construction plans. I
> don't need anything complicated, but would like something with components
> like standard dimensional lumber I can just put in place to build walls,
> etc. I'm building a large shed and the city needs drawn plans for the
> permits. I've got to show construction details, stud and rafter spacing,
> floor and roof details, etc.

Michael:

Your goal is architectural plans, not general drawings
or 3D renderings or animations, and you do NOT want your
drawings to look different from the drawings that the
bureaucrats see every day, and approve.  I'd bet most
of those are Autocad, with design files in DXF format.

It's not about the tool, it is learning what the result
should look like.  You should attempt to study some
architectural drawings that Portland has approved.

You should also look at the state building code.  There
is a recent copy at the Multnomah Central library.
A few good building books on the shelves, too.

librecad:

I haven't used librecad, but that seems to be the most
like Autocad.  Perhaps some of us should learn it together.

The folks at pdxhackerspace.org on north Interstate in
Portland make mechanical/architectural parts, and they
are also upgrading the decrepit building they are in;
I bet they submit plans to the city.  They would be
good to collaborate with.  They also have a decent
woodshop, so a monthly membership might be worthwhile.

In detail:

I do a lot of non-architectural drawing with libreoffice
"draw" with touchups in GIMP, and also 3D renderings with
Povray.  I tried using BRLcad for 3D; the learning curve
is even steeper than Povray.  I also draw images with C
programs using the libpng pixel manipulation library,
and make pretty charts with gnuplot.  I've used these
tools to produce webpages, animations, journal papers,
and patent drawings; forgive me for my sins...

All of that is IRRELEVANT to your needs, as are 90% of
the dozens of packages on most "linux compatable" and
"free software" lists.  They list closed source and $$$
packages, too.  You should not pay annual license fees
forever to retain access to your drawings (like so many
professional architects must).  You should not depend
on "community-licensed" versions of commercial tools
that may be unavailable or unsupported in the future.

That's my 202 cents; your mileage may vary.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com