[PLUG] Username for network device

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Feb 22 06:06:35 UTC 2018

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 17:43:24 -0800
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>I do not think that you will be able to break into the NAS without
>either pulling disks out, mounting them on the PC and resetting the
>password or by factory reset. So that would take some effort or data
>loss.
>
>How did you access your data before without the password? NFS,
>CIFS,...? I bet that both NFS and CIFS mounts are functional even on
>Ubuntu.

My laptop accesses the Synology without a problem. There is this line
in fstab that mounts it every time I boot the laptop:

	192.168.1.115:/volume1/Synology /media/jjj/Synology nfs
	auto,user 0 0

So I added the line to fstab on the new desktop and rebooted. When it
came up I saw Synology in the Thunar file manager, so I clicked on it
hoping to see the list of files as I do on the laptop. Instead I get a
popup:

	'mount.nfs access denied by server while mounting
	192.168.1.115/volume1/Synology.'

The line in fstab is identical on both machines. I think the problem is
that (apparently) when I set up the Synology I added something telling
it to accept requests from the laptop and the old desktop. Now I need
to add a permission for the new desktop. Unfortunately, I can't get in
to the Synology administration because I have forgotten the username or
password.