[PLUG] Username for network device

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Feb 22 22:00:12 UTC 2018

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 01:59:46 -0800
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>One more thing comes to my mind, if you run out of ideas. Try to keep
>domain names same between the NAS and hosts, if you set them up. If you
>didn't, check them, new distros can have different defaults.

Everything on my network is 192.168.1.x.

The router is:
	D-Link DIR-860L B1
	Firmware Version	LEDE Reboot SNAPSHOT r3761-6bada71e51 /
		LuCI Master (git-17.074.58473-ea801ada7)
	Kernel Version 	4.4.53

My laptop is named Devil-Bonobo and has two IP addresses: 192.168.1.126
(for ethernet) and 192.168.136 (for wifi). My old desktop was Devil-10
and was 192.168.1.146. I chose those numbers because if I could
remember any of them I could remember all of them. I set these numbers
in the router based on the MAC addresses of the computers. And the
Synology is 192.168.1.115.

When I first booted the new desktop there was no setting for it in the
router, so it assigned it 192.168.1.107. At the time I had not yet
realized the problem I would have with the Synology, so I went into the
router and set it to 192.168.1.156. Now I realize that it needs to be
-146, but there is another problem: In spite of being set to -156 in
the router, every time I reboot the new desktop the router assigns it
-107. I need someone with router exorcism powers to get rid of -107.
And then I need to figure out how to set it to -146, because there are
a bewildering and confusing number of displays in the router
administration that apparently I am not setting up correctly.

It might be easier to do this from the command line if I had a clue
what commands to use. At least I need to figure out how to force the
router to reboot and reassign numbers to connected devices.