[PLUG] LibreOffice: delete character at cursor

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Feb 24 23:11:06 UTC 2018

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018, King Beowulf wrote:

> You don't need a macro to do this (Sorry, Richard E.). In writer, go to
> Tools -> Customize, Keyboard tab. In the Window that pops up, select
> "Edit" in the Category list and "Backspace" in the Function list. The Keys
> list will now show the key currently assigned. In the upper Shortcut keys
> box, scroll down and select CTRL-D. On the right select the botton,
> LibreOffice, for global, or Writer. The click "Modify" and the Keys box
> should now show both Backspace and Ctrl-D

Ed,

   Backspace removes the character to the left of the cursor position, delete
removes the one to the right. At the end of a partially-filled line the
delete key will remove the \n and join the following line while the
backspace key will move the cursor to the end of the last word on that line.

   And, when I tried to assign the macro to CTRL+D, LO crashed. Every time.
Feh!

   Anywho, since I use only Writer and Calc when receiving/sending stuff to
clients and agencies, and I already have gnumeric installed, I just built
and installed the SBo version of Abiword. It does support inport/export of
.doc/.docx and that's the only reason for my use of a word processor.

   I used Abiword in the mid-1990s before buying and using WordPerfect/Linux
(since I'd used that in DOS since 1984). That died in 2000 and I switched to
OO.o, then LO. Now I'll remove LO and use the individual tools.

Best regards,